Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My westies is newly pregnant. Anything I should be doing

Customer Question

My westies is newly pregnant. Anything I should be doing different or special for her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Congratulations for Mary Ann.

Now generally speaking, we don't need to make many changes in the first few weeks of pregnancy. Though once she reaches the 5th week, we'd want to gradually increase her meal size to meet the demands of those growing pups. We usually aim to get her up to 1/3rd more by week 9 (when her weight should be up ~25% to account for those wee ones). Of course, if she isn't keen to eat more then we can use a more nutrient dense food (ie puppy food). Otherwise, once she has delivered her pups, we will need to keep up on the diet front while she nurses them. Therefore, at that point, we'd feed 3 times a day until she is past the 4 weeks peak production. That way we can help keep her from tapping into her own resources too much and causing herself weight loss as she cares for them.

Otherwise, the other important step at this stage will be worming. Now we usually first do this prior to mating, so hopefully you have. After that, we tend to worm again after day 45 (or can do so daily from day 40 onwards to ensure pups have a minimal worm burden). Otherwise, plan to worm her and her pups at 2, 5 and 8 weeks and after weaning. Finally, when doing so, we do tend to use Panacur as a safe and effective option for pregnant mums and their pups.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)