Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My do (1 year pup) was very active eating a bone, playing

Customer Question

My do (1 year pup) was very active eating a bone, playing tug o war with our older dog, running around - very active. Then he sat next to my legs & the up on tge carpet. He had just eaten food & drank water before we sat down together. He then hid behind a chair, isn't reacting to calls, etc. My husband thought he shared him w/ his yelling so he laid down on tge floor rubbing him & loving him. We were able to take him out & he rolled around in the grass. Now inside he's rubbing g his face back & forth on the bed. He's shaking & twitching off & on & still rubbing his face.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello Cheryl,

My name is***** and I will help you.

Please tell me where you live, is it daylight and could he have been stung by a bee or wasp[?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We gave him 5 milligrams of zantac and within 20 minutes he had calm down you could sleep. I believe it was an allergic reaction to something he ate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant to say Zyrtec and not zantac

Good morning Cheryl,

Zyrtec is given for atopy (a very itchy allergic reaction to chronic exposure to an allergen).

Toby's reaction was rapid. Certainly insect stings fall in this category. Food can also cause a reaction. Both can come on with hives and in acute cases difficulty in breathing.

It is possible that Toby was reacting to food. In that case it is very important to figure out what it can be because the next time he is exposed to the same allergen the results may be much more severe.

You have some detective work to do.

We can carry on this dialog - even after rating - or have a phone discussion if you want.

Dr Marta