Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog licking my kitchen floor and carpet,he threw up twice

Customer Question

My dog licking my kitchen floor and carpet,he threw up twice something wrong ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup Bailey is suddenly licking the kitchen floor and carpet and has vomited twice.

Since this is a new behavior then dogs will often lick when they have a bad taste in their mouth but that should not last long. They can also lick when they have something caught between their teeth, an infected tooth, or something stuck on the roof of their mouth.

Have you looked at his teeth and gums and on the roof of his mouth?

Has his appetite increased or decreased recently?

Dogs will often lick when they are feeling nauseous or have gastroesophageal reflux to try and settle their stomachs. Since he has vomited twice I suspect that he may be nauseous, and that is causing him to lick.

Metabolic diseases that cause stomach upset like kidney or liver disease, hyperlipidemia, or pancreatitis can cause licking. Anemia can lead to pica or eating or licking non food items. I do recommend that he see his veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure there are no health problems behind this behavior if his licking continues.

For now in case this is related to nausea or reflux to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. You can use these for several days if need be or even long term as they are very safe medications.

You do want to mention this behavior to his veterinarian at his next veterinary visit even if he improves with the acid reducers as they may want to run some blood tests to look for any possible developing problems.

I would with-hold any food until tomorrow morning. Small amounts of water only over night to help settle his stomach.

In the morning feed him a bland diet. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled, white rice or pasta. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in his regular diet and slowly convert him back.

In an older pup licking can also be a sign of pain, especially arthritis pain, and although generally they lick the sore joint not always. If he seems stiffer than usual or is limping then his veterinarian should examine him for signs of joint pain/arthritis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He did have an ear infection and was put on ear drops and rimadyl

Thank you for that information.

Ear infections can invade into the inner ear and cause disturbances in the balance system, which can make them dizzy and nauseous, or if we have draining of the infection down the back of the throat via the eustachian tube, that can also cause nausea.

Rimadyl is great for reducing panful inflammation, but can also cause nausea and stomach upset and vomiting. Rarely it can cause organ damage.

For tonight you can try one of the acid reducers, but ideally he should see his veterinarian tomorrow to make sure this is just stomach upset and nothing more serious.