Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

How much liquid Tylenol should I give my 2.2 lb. Chihuahua

Customer Question

How much liquid Tylenol should I give my 2.2 lb. Chihuahua 10
Weeks with kennel cough ,fever and eye infection and runny nose . The vet gave me eye drops antibodies and cough medicine but nothing for the fever he is drinking water from a syringe and eating cherries but nothing else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did you take his rectal temperature? If so, what was it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet didn't say just said he had a temp he feels very warm and shivers if I take the blanket off my sister came and said I should take him to vet hosp. I just had him to the vet today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is coughin and runny nose and just wants to lay or be held
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not cherries cheerios
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is contraindicated to give such a young puppy medications like Tylenol or any other type of non steroidal anti inflammatory. Do Not give him Tylenol.

A dog's normal temperature is between 99.5-102.5 F, our temperature is 98.6 F. So, upon touch a dog will always feel warm to us. The only way to rule in a fever is by taking a rectal temperature.

I would recommend you keep him on the medications prescribed by family veterinarian. Instead of feeding him cheerios give him a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible blend the food and force feed him small amounts with a dropper every 4-6 hours. Follow up with family vet in the morning if he is not doing better.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!