Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Matt .. and I have a tweenie dachshund who is 7 years old.

Customer Question

Customer: Hello Dr. Matt ..my name is ***** ***** I have a tweenie dachshund who is 7 years old. She has been reverse sneezing since she's been a puppy and I noticed today that the sides of her nostrils are raw ... is this allergy related?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has been acting a little off ... licking her paws and rubbing (however, not excessively) her face on our sweetgrass rugs ... but I'm concerned about the reverse sneezing for the last 2 or so days .. her appetite is fine and her toileting is normal.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been acting oddly - I'll do my best to help.

Usually face rubbing and foot licking are allergy related for sure. They can be allergic to just about anything in their environment, including pollens, grasses, trees, and foods. Since it's so difficult to tell exactly what they're allergic to (and even more difficult to actually remove the allergens from the environment). It could be that she's rubbing her face enough to actually cause some scraping at her nose there. It could also be inflammation of the autoimmune or idiopathic variety. If the lesions are mild I usually start by treating the allergy - sometimes with antihistamines, although more often with steroids if they are having severe itching. That usually will resolve all inflammatory lesions that they've got. Some autoimmune issues will return after we wean off the steroids, which gives us a clue as to their origin.

The reverse sneezing is also sometimes allergy related, although I also see a lot of reverse sneezing in dogs that seems to have no obvious cause. Some dogs do it when they are excited, some do it when they pull on their leash, in others it seems to be triggered by outside air. Rarely, if reverse sneezing is really severe, it can be due to a foreign body up in the nasal passages or the nasopharynx. It can also sometimes be a sign of a viral upper respiratory infection.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara