Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I just woke up and noticed my 13 year old lab mix cant move

Customer Question

i just woke up and noticed my 13 year old lab mix cant move her hing legs she is also panting very heavy is there something i can do to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she trying to get up? 2- Can she move her front legs? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

she is trying to walk but can! no other symptoms but she is panting very heavy and is upset

Prior to this happening did she have problems with her back legs like going up stairs or getting up from the floor?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no more than a normal 13 year old dog

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, given the quick onset of loss of motor function to her back legs it is very likely she has a disc that slipped in her back and is putting pressure on the spinal cord. This is an emergency, the longer she goes untreated the less likely she will regain function of the back legs. Other possible causes are: Severe arthritis of the hips, thromboembolic (stroke like), etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I strongly recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian, do not wait. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter