brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I have an olde English bulldog and before she goes outside

Customer Question

I have an olde English bulldog and before she goes outside to go on her walk after eating she is fine. Then she goes outside and by the time we bring her back in (3 min or so), she can hardly walk and is very lethargic and shaking.
She is currently on a special diet for passing a bladder stone and seems to have a possible ear infection. It has appeared just today.
I know that's a lot of info, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. How long has she been like this? Does this also happen after she is active indoors (rapid fatigue)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me.She has been acting like this for the past 2 days.No it doesn't happen after she is active indoors.But it has been about an hour and a half and now the glaze and signs of pain are gone. She is no longer lethargic and is walking like normal.Something we did notice is that on her quick walk when she went to the bathroom it was diarrhea and she actually passed gas and it was quite loud.She has been on this wet food diet for about 1-1/2 months. She's also taking a 1-1/2 pill of Cefpodoxime 100 mg & 1/2 Novox 75 mg.Could any of this be playing a factor?Could the 10 degree drop in weather during the walks affect it? Because she's breathing colder air?

I would not expect the cold alone to cause these signs.

The GI upset could play a factor (most likely due to one of the medications) if she is having significant abdominal pain. I am also suspicious of a condition that causes severe muscle weakness called myasthenia gravis. Could you try walking her around the house (inside) on a leash for about 5 minutes now and see what happens?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We walked her and she had no problems. She was acting very normal and walking as if she didn't have anything wrong with her earlier.

OK. Perhaps it has something to do with the timing of her meal rather than walking. I recommend that you try walking her tomorrow prior to her meal. If she is ok after her walk, feed her, then monitor her after the meal. I think this will help us narrow down the cause of her problem.

Hi Jessica,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. Susan