How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4995
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

30 lbs Irish Terrier. Possibly ate a mouse or Vole that was

Customer Question

30 lbs Irish Terrier. Possibly ate a mouse or Vole that was poisoned. Witnessed her eating some old biscuits. She can't wait to eat her meal with small amount of green beans mixed with her dog food. Silence diet. Never has she missed a meal.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe the symptoms that Annie is showing?

2- Did you see her eat the mouse?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No but she has eaten voles and mice in the past. I just treated the barn with poison carful not to expose her directly.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

1- Can you describe the symptoms that Annie is showing?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

I am going to opt out so another expert can help you. I am logging off shortly and it appears you left the chat.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never misses her morning or evening meal. This evening meal she did. She's a little tired but normal vitals. Just not her normal crazy Irish terrier
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't opt out. Just takes me a while to type
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this time is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your predicament! Do you know what type of poison was used? Is it just the one vole or mouse your dog ate?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

If your dog ate just one poisoned rodent the chance of toxicity developing in your dog is very low. This phenomenon is called "relay toxicosis" and is very rare unless a dog or cat is eating many poisoned rodents because the amount of poison in the rodent is usually too small to be toxic to the dog.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, just checking on your dog today.