Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate a large dose of trifexis
, He is a 10 lb.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and my dog ate a large dose of trifexis
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a 10 lb. poodle/maltese mix. Six months ago he suffered a bout with pancreatitis.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I wasn't able to finish my question. My apologies. I was interrupted. Are you still there?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many milligrams was the Trifexis?

2- How long has it been since he ate the Trifexis?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

1. He took the 60-100 lb. dog dose. Not sure of the milligrams.

2. He ate it at around 7:30PM yesterday. He vomited once. He was fine all evening. This morning he was very lethargic.

3. No, I do not.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

I am sorry, I have one more question. Is he still lethargic?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

He is a very active dog and all he wanted to do this morning was lay around. He stumbled a little when he walked this afternoon but he ate a small handful of dry food and my daughter is about to offer him some wet food with water.

Yes, right now he is still lethargic. He is still barking though.

Do you feel better in saying that he is getting better?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Not really, he's not himself. How long does it take for them to pass this?

Friend, the half life (amount of time the body takes to eliminate 1/2 out of the body) for spinosad (active ingredient) is about 10 days. So, this may take several days to fully recover. Unfortunately at this stage there is not much you can do at home. I would recommend you have him checked in to your family veterinarian for supportive care of IV fluids, this will help speed up the recovery and improve the prognosis. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter