Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an energetic pitbull who LOVES going outside,, and

Customer Question

I have an energetic pitbull who LOVES going outside, for walks, and roaming the house. Since mid day yesterday he has become scared of something. He will not really leave my room and occasionally will go upstairs but looks around first. Will not go near front door or outside which is weird for him. Even when I ask if he wants to go for a walk. He just cries and trembles. What can I do to make him feel better or not scared?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your pitty.

It sounds like he may be painful. One of the most common signs of pain in dogs will be reluctance to move/ jump/ do stairs and trembling. The hiding is also not uncommon. This could be a slipped disc in the back or just a soft tissue muscle sprain/ strain in a limb. It can be hard to tell, even with a good neurologic and orthopedic exam.

Most of these guys will get put on a pain medication and rest for 1-2 weeks. The majority are doing much better within 2-3 days, and back to normal within 5-7 days. If you want to just try something at home first, you can give over the counter Aspirin. The dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Madison,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dozer. How is everything going?