Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I suspect my dog has teeth issues, she is always grinding

Customer Question

I suspect my dog has teeth issues, she is always grinding her teeth, licking at nothing and making odd mouth motions. She also has very bad breath. What can I look for to confirm a problem? eg. Blackened gums in places?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It does sound like your dog may have some dental disease. Bad breath is the #1 sign of dental disease in dogs. To confirm this, we do dental x-rays, just like what is done in people. 2/3 of the tooth is actually under the gum line. That is where the disease starts. To see this, we need x-rays. Once it's showing up above the gum line, it's pretty advanced dental disease.

I would get a dental done. This is done under anesthesia. They first shoot x-rays and determine which teeth are diseased. Some can be dealt with avoiding tooth removal, some may need root canals to save the tooth. Most of the time, by the time we diagnose it, the tooth needs to be removed. The remaining healthy teeth are cleaned and polished. Going home, I would try to get in a habit of brushing her teeth. Daily is ideal, but every 2-3 days is often times more realistic. This will help prevent dental disease from occurring and keep the breath more reasonable on a day to day basis.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?