Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a question. The past couple of days my dog has been

Customer Question

I have a question. The past couple of days my dog has been eating leaves to induse vomiting, usually while I am asleep. Today when i returned form work I found a puddle of vomit with a quarter size bone piece in it. I'm wondering if I should be worried. From her gums and skin retention, she is not dehydrated, her bowels are solid, and her urine looks normal. She eats her meals regularly and drinks her water. She plays like nothing is wrong and doesn't have a fever.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely sweet Asera has a mild digestive disturbance probably due to ingestion of a bone that may have fat on it or it is just parts of the bone that are causing the problem. This is not serious but is obviously causing her some distress. The best way past this is to follow these instructions to prevent this from getting worse:

Fast Asera for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and distress has resolved, then wean Asera back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Asera to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction from this bone. In most cases such as this, this treatment is curative.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually started to fast her yesterday, she had a small piece of bread from yesterday morning around 8am until 7am this morning when she had half of her breakfast serving. During the fast is when she threw up the bone piece. Should I still continue to fast her?

IT only needs to be the 24 hrs...now give rice and chicken for a couple days and hopefully, Asera will feel better by then.

Hi Petar,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Asera. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta