Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 1 year old siberian husky just ate half a Christmas candy

Customer Question

My 1 year old siberian husky just ate half a Christmas candy cane filled with chocolate reeses miniatures he is one year old and about 40 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Siberian husky. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Can you give me a guess of how many Reese's miniatures that he ate? We can try to guess how much chocoloate he ate, so I can calculate if it was a dangerous dose or not. Or you could just induce vomiting by getting him to drink 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

A Reese's would be mostly sugar, peanut butter, etc. The amount of actual chocolate is small. How much does he weigh? If he is 60 pounds he would have to eat 6 oz of milk chocolate (and there is more fat, sugar, etc. in a peanut butter cup than milk chocolate) to show signs like vomiting and diarrhea and 15 oz of milk chocolate to show more serious signs of rapid heart rate and tremors. If you can give me his weight and tell me about how many Reese's he may have gotten, then I can let you know if it is serious or not.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. How is he doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is your Husky today?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Clarissa Mathews. How is everything going?