Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 2 year old shorkie vomited this morning. Mostly dark

Customer Question

My 2 year old shorkie vomited this morning. Mostly dark liquid. When I went to clean it up I noticed it dots of bright red blood. Do I need to go to an emergency vet or can I wait until the vet opens?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- How many hours before your vet opens?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No other symptoms. Doesn't seem as peppy but will follow us around and jump.11 lbsDidn't get into anything that I know ofIt is 7 now. Vet opens at 8

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see blood in the vomit we can assume there is something damaging the wall of either the esophagus, stomach or first part of the intestines. Common causes are: A foreign body, infections, parasites or even part of a systemic disease. Currently, it does not sound like he is in a life threatening condition and he will be fine to wait until he is seen by family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter