Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I think my dog has been bit by a spider and the open wound

Customer Question

I think my dog has been bit by a spider and the open wound is very large.
how long should ti take to get better? 4 diffrent antibodics and 5 trips to two Vets and 45 day later still no signs healing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Ruby has such a nasty non-healing wound. Even if it was a spider, I would have expected it to heal by now.

Have you considered a biopsy of the edge of the wound to see if there is a cellular problem with healing like a fungus or cancer?

How about a culture to see if she is growing some sort of weird bacteria?

Are you keeping the wound bandaged and covered? Have you tried honey or white sugar on the wound (these promote healing and kill surface bacteria)?

Have you discussed surgical closure of the wound? How about vacuum-treatment for the wound? Hyperbaric chamber?

I would consider taking Ruby to either an internal medicine specialist or a dermatologist for a specialist consultation. They will be able to offer more advanced testing and treatments to help get the wound healed.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Ruby this evening? How is her wound? Were you able to talk your vet about the treatment options I suggested?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A