Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 15 YRS OLD Apso Lapso and her mouth won't open up

Customer Question

Customer: brown i have a 15 YRS OLD Apso Lapso and her mouth won't open up and she can barley walk on her back legs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she started with her back legs not able to walk normal and also she is becoming blind and now she won't open her mouth
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how do you pay ?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup is sick this evening.

Does she have any other health issues that could be making her worse this evening? How are her teeth? Is she still eating and drinking? Any vomiting or diarrhea? When was the last time she was examined by a veterinarian?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you this evening.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I am getting ready to log off for the night. I am going to opt-out of the question so another expert can help you.

Good luck to you and your pup,

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Amanda for you. A 15 year old who "can barely walk" is either weakened systemically from illness or anemia, osteoarthritic, or perhaps suffering from a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") or perhaps a tumor in or around her spinal cord. I'm particularly concerned that she won't open her mouth because she'll quickly dehydrate if she can't drink or eat. This is a patient who needs her vet to perform a through physical exam paying particular attention to your dog's oral cavity. In most cases a dog will be reluctant to open its mouth because it's painful to do so - dental disease and oral cancers need to be considered. You can't manage such a patient at home and time is of the essence.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.