Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have a 18 lb Havanese that is suffering through a second

Customer Question

We have a 18 lb Havanese that is suffering through a second day of diarrhea. Not knowing why or what she may have eaten. Anything that can be given -pepto or immodium?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear BellaMonte is not feeling well. I would not advise administering either of those products. Imodium can cause illness to certain breeds but also some dogs in particular can have a reaction to this product so it is not advised. And pepto unfortunately is not very effective in pets.

Tonight you can:
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days
- Bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken which is bland yet bulking to the stools
- Canned pumpkin can also aid in bulking up the stools, 1 tbsp every 12 hours

If there is no improvement I would advise a veterinary fecal evaluation to rule out an underlying cause that requires treatment such as worms, giardia, isospora infection that can be easily remedied with antibiotic therapy or dewormer

Please no cheese with diarrhea, dogs are often quite lactose intolerant and can upset her stomach further at this point

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good evening, I am checking in on Bella Monte to see how she is doing since you asked your question yesterday. I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good Evening Dr. Altman:
We started her on a white rice and beef broth diet yesterday, but the symtoms have not decreased, she's still suffering from the situation. WE were thinking of taking her to our local Vet in the AM for fecal sampling as you suggested.She was hestitant to eat the rice / broth, the only way she would eat it was to add shredded cheese unfortunately! She globbed down the mixture when we added some roasted chicken tid bits...

Thank you for the update, I would much rather prefer the roasted chicken (as long as there are no spices included) than the cheese or at least limiting the cheese as much as possible. It sounds like this has gone on for 5+ days now and veterinary intervention is warranted. Especially with her being so tiny I would hate to have her take a downward spiral because this progresses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. If the information I have provided has been helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of your screen with the stars so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you and best wishes to you both :)