Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog had a tick on her face a few weeks ago, last week she

Customer Question

Hi my dog had a tick on her face a few weeks ago, last week she was limping bad and not doing much, thought she was getting better but today she tried to get up when I came home from work but she couldn't and just cried. not sure what to do for her, she is 11 years old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. If your dog was doing fine before the tick bite then my biggest concern is that she may have contracted a tick borne disease which is treatable if you get her to the vet asap. But you have to see a vet for this because she will have to be put on antibiotics (Doxycycline) to treat this. There are many tick borne diseases that can cause lameness. Lyme Disease, Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasma, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever are just a few. The Doxycycline will be the drug that will treat any of these diseases but if you don't get your dog to your vet asap she might not make it because some of these diseases can cause hematologic abnormalities like platelets getting to low and your dog can bleed to death. Please feel free to send my any questions you have as I will be online until 10 PM. If you don't make it by then I will be back online tomorrow night. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done at home to help your dog. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I ma compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

I have to retire for the night but will be back online tomorrow night. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you need further help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.
Hi Luann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.