Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Is 300mg of zonisimide and 68,4 mg of pheonibarbital too

Customer Question

is 300mg of zonisimide and 68,4 mg of pheonibarbital too much for a 45 lb dog. My dog just jumped up on the counter and ate my other dogs epilepsy meds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 11 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr RB:) It is safest for your dog to rid these anti-seizure medication from his system by inducing vomiting. If it has been less than 1 hour since ingestion then give your dog about 3 teaspoons (or 15 mL) to induce vomiting. If he vomits up most of the meds, you can observe him closely overnight.. If you do not feel comfortable inducing vomiting OR if don't see the meds the vomitis, then take home to an emergency clinic for treatment..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
3 teaspoons of what
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
teaspoons of what?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. RB for you. 68.4 mg of phenobarbital is a low-moderate dose for a 45 lb dog. 300 mg of zonisamide is above the usual dosing range of up to 4 mg/lb. You're likely to see sedation, lethargy, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and/or vomiting from the ingestion of both of those convulsives but your dog should remain safe.

The dose of 3% hydrogen peroxide for inducing emesis is 3 tablespoons for a 45lb dog. May I have an update on your dog, please?