Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 6 year old Weimeraner(Map)who has had all

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old Weimeraner(Map)who has had all vaccinations regular heartwormer. I took him in for a check up and rabies. The vet said he has the adult heartworms though a blood test. I have a 10 year old chihuahua(Paco) who takes the exact med and he was negative. The vet said he has a heart murmur(MVP with regurg and fluid in his lungs (no coughing, not overweight and very active)which in turn cost me hundreds of dollars on xrays and lifetime medication?? My question is that the vet put my Map on doxycycline for a chronic ear infection (pseudomonas) of which no other vet told me. Now, she is continuing just the doxycycline and gave him a 6 month heartworm preventive. I can go into detail if you need. The reason I am including both dogs in this question is that I lost my 5 year old siamease cat to starvation by a local vet who put a
tube for feeding on his neck and did not secure the tube and after taking him back several times, we lost the battle.
I was not given any prognosis(new vet) for Map and Paco even though I asked. I am still devastated from the loss of my cat and my "fuse is running short). They do not listen to me and they interrupt. She put my 8" dog on 12.5 lasix three times a day and did not check his potassium. When I got nervous she ran a blood test and his potassium was 2.5. I am exhausted.
Thank You, Pam
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry that you're having such a stressful time with your critters! I'll do my best to help. When you said "The vet said he has a heart murmur" - to which pet are you referring? Map or Paco? I wasn't sure the way it's reading which pet you mean there.

Doxycycline is typically treated initially with doxycyline and continuation of a heartworm preventive. However, the American Heartworm Society (https://www.heartwormsociety.org/) does also strongly recommend the use of immiticide injections to kill the adult worms as well. Otherwise, the worms live out their lives inside Map's pulmonary arteries and can continue to cause significant damage while we wait for them to die on their own. Some heartworm preventives have a "slow kill" type of action on the adult worms, so it may shorten their life, but they still live plenty long enough to cause significant damage to the heart, lungs, and kidneys. If your vet hasn't discussed adulticide therapy (immiticide injections) and/or you're just not feeling like you click with this vet, it's definitely work seeking a second opinion. As vets, we want you to be completely comfortable with the care you're receiving, even if it means going somewhere else. There are all sorts of clients and all sorts of veterinarian personalities, so we don't all click 100% of the time.

I know that there's probably more info you are looking for here - please reply with questions for me.

~Dr. Sara