Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My old English Sheep dog Lilly has been happy healthy and

Customer Question

My old English Sheep dog Lilly has been happy healthy and bouncy. Between 7 and 8 years old.
Yesterday I noticed her limping. Around 2:30 am this morning My husband awakened me and said that she was btreathing heavy. Two or three days ago She has been happy and healthy. This morning when I woke up.. She is dead. Not showing any health issues at all.
How can this happen? I do not have the money for an autopsy. My husband has had a tendcy to feed her table food with Me telling him not to. Could this have been what caused
this? The Vet said that it appeared that she may have had a tumor that heimeridged. It just makes no sense to me because she showed no sighns at all and this was in a 3 day period.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your dog. It is always heart breaking to lose a pet, but seems unfair when it comes so unexpectedly. I have to agree with your vet's suspicion. The most common cause of a pet dying quickly following a period of heavy breathing and weakness would be a tumor on the spleen or liver that abruptly began bleeding. Did your dog's belly look enlarged at all when you found her? Sometimes dogs can live with these tumors on their liver or spleen (called hemangiosarcoma or hemangioma) for some time while showing no ill effects, then at some point for no real reason, the tumor errodes into a large blood vessel and a massive internal hemorrhage can occur. Usually these dogs present to us with labored breathing and weakness, and it can happen in the course of a few hours.