Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Dog ate a portion of a Presto Log- the ingredients in

Customer Question

My Dog ate a portion of a Presto Log- the ingredients in this particular brand is wood products, nutshells and wax. he has thrown up the majority of it. is there something else I should do? Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now the good news is that these are not toxic for dogs. The main risk is blockage if they do eat a lot. That said, if Toby brought most of it back up then that works in our favour. Therefore, at this stage, we'd want to initiate supportive care to limit any splinter damage to the gut and help him pass this.

To start, if he just ate this, then we can start by feeding him a "Vaseline sandwich." I this will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces.

Afterwards, we will want to put Toby on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Whichever you use, we can add canned pumpkin +/- our Vasline or cat hair ball treatment to again keep this all moving along and out the other end.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Still, this is not toxic and his bringing most of it back up means we have less to worry about. Therefore, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods but any of those other signs and we'd want him seen just in case.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )