Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Jordan has her left outside ear lobe swollen I have put ear

Customer Question

Jordan has her left outside ear lobe swollen
I have put ear drops in her ear last night and again this morning no change.
Can I start her on antibotics? or bring her to vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Jordan. So is she a long eared dog? is it the floppy part of her ear that looks swollen? as if it is filled with fluid? Can you post a photo here?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello? Are you there?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your Jordan's swollen ear. I can take over for Dr. Jess and try to help.

Does this swelling feel like a water balloon?

Is it part of the ear flap?

Has she been shaking her head?

Does she now or has he ever had an ear infection?

Does it look like the dog in this link below? (can be smaller but this will give you a general idea) https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP22YeYjTDsYPXpDMZCd5QG6g7BWmHlY59N2ZcNY7t_OfZh7qG

If so then this is likely an ear hematoma. This happens when a blood vessel in the ear breaks and the area inside the ear flap fills with blood.
It is usually from them shaking their head/ears repeatedly from an ear infection.
But sometimes they just shake their head a few times, hit the ear on something and a blood vessel breaks leading to bleeding.

If it is very small (nickel size) it may heal on its own just fine as the blood is reabsorbed.
You can apply a cool compress for 5 to 10 minutes at a time to the swollen area the first 24 to 48 hours, then pat dry and apply cortisone cream (like cortaid) twice daily to help reduce inflammation.

After 48 hours try a warm compress rather than cold to speed healing and improve circulation and then cortisone ointment.

But if it's larger then it may need to be drained and/or sutured by her veterinarian so it doesn't refill.

If you notice any odor or increased waxy debris then he may have an early infection which started all this, and then she should definitely see her veterinarian for proper treatment no matter that size of the swelling is.

If she is scratching at her ear quite a bit or seems bothered by the swelling you can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1mg to 2mgs per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours (two 25mg tabs per 50 pound dog every 8 hours). This will reduce allergic itchiness and can make her sleepy which should help her leave the ear alone.

If she is rubbing the ear or scratching at it placing an elizabethan (lampshade) collar is recommended so she doesn't further traumatize her ear, which could enlarge the hematoma.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.