Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4 pound Chihuahua rescue has had some loose stools.mnWhat

Customer Question

my 4 pound Chihuahua rescue has had some loose stools.mnWhat can Imgive her to stop this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

What does her diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SHE JUST STARTED THIS. do not know too much about her as she is a rescue. Think the food Orijrn red kibble no grain and chicken veggies I cooked did notbagree with her. Will take her to vet today. What can I give her to stop. Stool is notnwatery is semi loose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please answer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I am composing my answer just now, so I will post again shortly.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes for diarrhea in our dogs include brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions (which is a concern if there was something in the food that didn't agree with her), and ingestion of harmful items (less likely here).

In regards ***** ***** it is ideal to have her seen when her vet is open so that infectious agents can be ruled out. Otherwise, we'd want to start supportive care. To start, you can put her on a bland or easy to digest diet like cooked white rice with boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, boiled chicken (if you do not think that is our culprit) or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Otherwise, if you have not wormed her recently, then it'd be ideal to do that as well. Since she is going to see her vet, you may want to discuss using Panacur as it is a good general wormer but also can address some of our protozoal causes for diarrhea.

Finally, since we aren't seeing blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies (avoid using Imodium as it is dangerous for smaller dogs). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this diarrhea we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care until she does see her vet. When she does, do consider taking a stool sample with you so they can see what she is passing +/- send it for analysis to diagnose any infectious agents. Otherwise, depending on their exam findings, her vet may need to add antibiotics or anti-parasitic medication to the above to help clear this for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )