Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy fell in the water bucket and consumed a lot of

Customer Question

Customer: my puppy fell in the water bucket and consumed a lot of water. Looks like he cant use the bathroom and his bowels wont move. It looks as if his intestines are coming out, and hes trying to use bathroom. we have him wrapped up and in front of heater. what can we do ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes, the puppy fell in the water bucket and was there all day we think. When we got home he was making a noise and we took him out. hes only 12 weeks old. his stomach is bloated and hes not real responsive but alive.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. To answer you directly, you can't manage a puppy in which "his intestines are coming out" (rectal prolapse?) at home. He sounds as if he's critically ill in need of critical care from his vet. May I have an update on the puppy, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After thawing out , he seems to be ok now. I think he was frozen from having rear in bucket for a while . Seems ok now .

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is good with puppy . I really think he had hypothermia . After his body temperature dropped , he seemed to come around . Thanks for the advise.

Thank you once again. I never argue with success.