Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What can I give my Maltese until I get her to the vet

Customer Question

What can I give my Maltese for honking until I get her to the vet tomorror
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Bitsy is having this issue. Tonight you can:

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours but may cause mild sedation
- Steam of the shower will help soothe the nasal passages and allow her to breath more readily
- Honey can sometimes help reduce this issue
- Keeping her calm and quiet is key. If she starts up, massaging her throat and telling her to "swallow" will help reduce the episode severity. Sometimes with my little dogs I have to hold pressure for a few minutes to stop the spasms. Over time in the future you can tell her to "swallow" from across the room and hopefully she will be able to resolve them on her own

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Bitsy to see how she is doing? Did my information aid in getting Bitsy comfortable last night? I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Howard,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bitsy. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman