Dr. B
Dr. B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S. and D.V.M. at Texas A&M University, 10+ yrs experience practicing very high quality medicine & surgery
16944058

I was so rusted tonight dinner party that I don't remember

Customer Question

I was so rusted tonight for a dinner party that I don't remember if I gave my dog her insulin. I don't think i did. What might happen if I double dose her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B replied 11 months ago.
Hi there! I'm Dr. Bryant and I've been practicing small animal medicine (dogs & cats exclusively) for over 11 years. I have quite a bit of experience with diabetic dogs and cats. DO NOT GIVE HER INSULIN TONIGHT. If there is a chance you gave it, and you give it again, you can drop her blood sugar to a dangerously low level. On the other hand, skipping a single dose (as long as this is not a recurrent problem) will have consequences. Her blood sugar may temporarily rise a bit, but not enough to make her feel bad or show any symptoms. Just get right back on track with her normal dose with breakfast tomorrow. This is a good Q&A article on canine diabetes that you can refer to in the future. Although it doesn't specifically address your question, it does talk towards the bottom about if you're late by more than 2 hours on giving the insulin, to just skip that dose and start up again when the next normal dose would be due (which confirms what I am saying about missing a dose). Anyway, I thought you might like to keep this bookmarked for a reference if any other questions arise: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/hormones-body-chemistry/diabetes-in-dogs-a-guide-to-understanding-and-treating-your-dog Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Otherwise, be sure to rate my answer to let me know you got the information you needed!
Expert:  Dr. B replied 11 months ago.
Sorry...in my 2nd paragraph above it should say "skipping a single dose will have NO consequences." I left out the most important word!