Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 4 year old French bulldog has been vomiting most of the

Customer Question

My 4 year old French bulldog has been vomiting most of the day. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Sex?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Weight?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Male, 33lbs, no medical issues other than allergies to chicken. He's been sick 5 or 6 times today and very lethargic
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm also recovering myself from some kind of stomach flu but they usually say dogs don't get the same germs as us
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About an hour or maybe less..
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

No, they do not share the same stomach bugs we do. Vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet in the morning. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter