How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10217
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Five year old dachshund, 20 lbs, just ate a 1 inch by I inch

Customer Question

Five year old dachshund, 20 lbs, just ate a 1 inch by I inch piece of chocolate. should I expect her to be sick? should in give her something to eat?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What kind of chocolate was this?

What was the source of the chocolate?

How long ago was this ingestion?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
semi sweet fudge....the fudge was mainly sugar, evap. milk and choc, pieces the time she took the fudge from the napkin on the coffee table was about an hour and a half ago, no signs of discomfort. what should I be watching for?thanks, eva
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the information. In general, there is more of a concern with the toxicity in fudge compared to milk chocolate. A lot depends on how it is made. The more cocoa that it is made with, the more toxic it can be. I am not sure how many ounces a 1 in x 1 in piece would entail (that can also vary), but if it isn't more than 3 ounces, I wouldn't be too concerned. It is always necessary to monitor for signs of chocolate toxicity for at least 36 hours. If you notice any vomiting, bloody stool, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, restlessness, increased anxiety or tremors; then I would recommend seeking immediate veterinary attention. After 36 hours, if you haven't see any signs, then you most likely won't. It is possible that kidney problems can occur 3 days after eating chocolate, but you would most likely see some of the other symptoms of toxicity listed above. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions