Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Loretta, I have an almost 10 year old Pomeranian/Chihuahua

Customer Question

Hello Dr.Loretta,
I have an almost 10 year old Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. She is 8 lbs, I have noticed within the last 3 weeks that I hear a cracking sound coming from her hind legs/hip area. It doesn't happen all the time, just every once in a while. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This sound you hear is most likely the movement of joint fluid in Foxy's knee and this may mean that she is starting to get arthritis in these areas. It is not serious but it is worth pursuing with your vet to be sure that her knees are ok and there is not a ligament rupture or arthritis. If Foxy is not lame on these rear legs, that is a good sign. I would recommend, due to sweet Foxy's age, that you start her on Cosequin, available at the pet store and fish oil to give more lubrication to her joints and decrease any discomfort.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has good movement still, she still jumps on and off the couch without trouble. Thank you for your help, is there an exact dose as far as the Cosequin and fish oil that I should give her for her age and weight?

The product that you buy at the pet store for both medications will have the dose for Foxy's weight...follow that. Try to discourage Foxy from too much jumping which could make this worse.

Good luck!