Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a Chihuahua/Minpin mix, 10 yrs old. She started

Customer Question

Good Morning,
I have a Chihuahua/Minpin mix, 10 yrs old. She started whining and whimpering, then when she went from sitting on a chair in the living room to the floor, she literally screamed, LOUD! When I tried to get to her, she ran from me, which never happens. She is now withdrawing from the second dog in the house. She is hiding and staying to herself, and there are times, I hear her again, almost screaming in pain. I think it is one of her front legs, I have given her some children aspirin, which I would think would help with the pain.
Do I need to contact my vet on an emergency? There is an emergency pet clinic, but it's is an hour and fifteen from me?
Please assist me?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you.

I'm so sorry that Starr appears to be in so much pain. It's quite possible that there's an issue with her spine where there's compression of her spinal cord by a disc or mass if she's excessively vocalizing as you've described. There aren't too many conditions which could cause such significant pain in a dog this age.

Of course, if she somehow broke a bone, then she could be in this amount of pain but typically, a great deal of trauma/force is required for this to occur. Jumping down from a chair to the floor shouldn't be sufficient amount of force to break a bone.

I would have recommended that you give her a low dose Aspirin as well since it does have pain properties but it may not be enough if her pain is that severe and/or if she has a disc issue.

If at all possible, I'd have her seen so that at a minimum, stronger pain medication can be dispensed. It's possible that a thorough exam will revel the problem or x-rays may be suggested if a disc is suspected. X-rays aren't always reliable in diagnosing disc disease (MRI's are better) but they can be useful and a good first place to start.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Starr. How is she doing? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Hi Glenn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Starr. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb