Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 14-yr-old Husky/Chow mix. She has cushings disease,

Customer Question

I have a 14-yr-old Husky/Chow mix. She has cushings disease, which is being controlled with Trilostane, and taking Tramadol for her arthritis. The arthritis is so bad, she can no longer walk. I've been giving her fish oil and NuJointDS tablets, which guarantee to help with her mobility, but nothing works. Now, whenever she's awake, she barks constantly; non stop. She never used to bark at anything. My son insists she's barking, because she's in pain, but it doesn't sound like a "painful" bark. I think, maybe, something else is wrong to make her bark so much.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Casey's condition...I know it is hard to see her in pain.

The only other medication you can give is Rimadyl which is an anti inflammatory medication. This along with Tramadol and the joint tablets and fish oil, is all that can be given to a dog suffering from Cushings disease. This medication can affect the liver so when Casey is on this, your vet will want to check liver enzymes often. I know this barking that Casey is doing is because of the pain and adding Rimadyl may really help as long as your vet is careful.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She was on Rimadyl before she was diagnosed with Cushings and when I asked about refilling the prescription, he didn't recommend it. Since I moved, her vet is 2 hours away, but I stay with him, because Casey likes him and trusts him. I thought I could avoid traumatizing her with the long trip by writing to you. I will take her in and hope he doesn't recommend putting her to sleep. I just lost my husband and can't bare to lose her right now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Since the answer wasn't much help, how do I keep my credit card from being charged.

Oh my...I am so sorry!! You have to do what you can to keep Casey comfortable. I certainly understand what your vet is saying but he may change his mind now that Casey is in such pain.

If you do not rate, you will not be charged.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

You are welcome! Have a great day!