Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is not acting right she's not eating much she's

Customer Question

My dog is not acting right she's not eating much she's laying around to much and that's not her when she is sleeping she wakes up yelping and she hasn't had a bowel movement for a couple of days now I made her some chicken and rice I hope that was OK, what should I do? Cindy Davis Waterloo SC
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Cindy and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your gal has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in this breed because of their conformation. Since she does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for her pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as she is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine her to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. The fact that she is not having a bowel movement means that she is in so much pain that she does not want to do this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta