Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 2 year old Aussie has been throwing up about 2 minutes

Customer Question

My 2 year old Aussie has been throwing up about 2 minutes after eating anything, treats, kibble, etc... She usually throws up treats, but occasionally has thrown up her dog food. It's been going on since 12/24 but does not happen every time she eats and her stool appears normal and she's drinking normally. I feed her Taste of the Wild bison and venison and she usually keeps that down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her activity level also seems normal.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Finley after eating dinner yesterday. Listen with sound on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiC5FT_yzNU
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Finley after eating her treat this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-GGvPT1gjY
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your history and Finley's videos, it is important to first note that she is still nauseous despite the treatment that is being used. Therefore, we'd really need to ring your vet about stronger anti-nausea options (ie Cerenia, Metoclopramide, Cimetidine, or Zofran). As well, since she does sound throaty on the video, we'd also want to consider covering bases for esophagitis (which can be due to abrasion/inflammation or related to the stomach acid irritating the throat as she vomits) with gastroprotectants. Especially as this can cause vomiting on its own as well.

Otherwise, I have to note that if we have a young dog with normal bloods that is vomiting, then this is a situation suspicious of a possible foreign body or blockage. We can see this when they eat things they should not have, have large worm burdens taking up too much space in the gut, and even when the gut telescopes on itself to cause a self-occlusion. (We can also see this when they have gut compression from enlarged organs, tumors, or masses internal to the gut --but at her age we'd hope those would be less likely here). Therefore, in this situation and with her lack of treatment response an xray or ultrasound would be worth considering to make sure this isn't due to a blockage.

Overall, we have a few concerns for her continued vomiting here. Since she is young, blockages are a real concern and need to be ruled out. Otherwise, we'd want to put her on stronger anti-nausea medication and gastroprotectants to better manage her nausea and settle any lurking esophagitis for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the information. One other thing, I forgot to mention is that she had also been around two puppies, a 6 month old and a 10 week old. The 10 week old has also started sporadically throwing up within a few minutes of eating. The 6 month old dog is fine with no issue. I'm not sure if this changes your opinion, but I thought I would mention it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the further information,

If more then one dog has signs, then infectious agents would be a concern as well. Though we'd have hoped to see changes on her white blood cell levels if her vomiting was related to such. So, we could cover with antibiotics alongside those stronger anti-nausea treatments first, but if she didnt' settle then an xray or scan would still be ideal here.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)