Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Problem:12 year old Springer Spaniel constantly licking

Customer Question

Problem:12 year old Springer Spaniel constantly licking and/or knowing at private area.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are 2 possibilities for this behavior. One is that your gal is having an allergic reaction in this area causing this licking. If your gal is not spayed, there is a chance that she may have an open pyometra which is an infection in her uterus that is releasing pus that she is trying to clean up. The other possibility is that she is having a Urinary tract Infection that will require veterinary treatment. Check this area closely looking for pus or a red irritated area. Apply cortisone ointment to this area to ease her discomfort, available over the counter at the pharmacy and give her Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. Try very hard to keep her from licking at this area since this will make it worse. You can purchase an Elizabethan collar at the pet store that will keep her form this area. If this does not resolve, see your vet Monday morning to know for sure and then the treatment can be given to your sweet girl to ease her discomfort.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Darryl,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Darryl Vachon. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta