Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 12 year old Golden has been straing to days now. He

Customer Question

My 12 year old Golden has been straing to defecate for two days now. He hasn't urinated in over 24 hours. He just vomited this morning and is leaking watery substance from rectum. As per xray( all I can afford) his entire colon including the stomach is filled. We suspect obstruction. I cannot afford surgery. Am I prolonging the inevitable? I am ready to bring him to rest peacefully. Is he suffering? He never complains....ever. Be honest.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your guys condition...I know this is hard and the diagnostics can become very expensive. Treatment for an obstruction is mineral oil given 1/2 cup every 6 hrs to help the material to slide through or an enema that your vet must perform. Due to your sweet guys age, I would also worry that there may be other metabolic issues that would also have to be addressed and possibly treated. In your situation and you see that your sweet guy is suffering, I would consider euthanasia if only to ease his suffering. Unless you have the time and money to see this through, this is the most humane and kind thing you can do for a guy that has been your family for the last 12 yrs. This is only my opinion based on 35 years of helping people past this. I am sooo sorry! I know this is a very difficult decision but you MUST consider your guy rather than your own feelings...what is best for him.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****