Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 3 year old male shih Tzu has started limping (holding up

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My 3 year old male shih Tzu has started limping (holding up his right paw) when he walks and he wouldn't eat today. What could cause this and what can I do to help him?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All of this just started today.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The most common cause for this is a traumatic injury causing bruising that is so painful that your guy does not want to eat. For now, force feed him some liquified canned dog food and then give him aspiirn at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will ease this discomfort and if this is minor, then this treatment could be curative. If there is no improvement, your vet will have to xray to know exactly what is causing this so the correct treatment can be given to your sweet little guy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****