Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3 year old lab had a litter of 12 two weeks ago. She is

Customer Question

My 3 year old lab had a litter of 12 two weeks ago. She is behaving normal eating well and caring for her 10 puppies (lost two) wonderfully. However she still has a bloody discharge. That will come out here and there. It is not continuous but at least a few times a day. Is it normal?
Also three of the puppies have a discharge from their left eye. Just discovered that today and have been cleaning them.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Matilda's discharge is not unexpected here and we can see this last up to 6-8 weeks. Of course, if you notice any pus or odor with it, then we'd be worried about infection and want her checked by her vet.

Otherwise, the puppies eye discharge isn't normal. If it is watery clear, then irritation or possible viral infections would be a concern. If it is snotty, then bacterial conjunctivitis would be a worry. In either case, we can try flushing away the discharge using sterile saline (ie OTC plain contact lens solution, first aid eye wash) but if this recurs, then we'd want this checked so that we can get them onto oral/systemic antibiotics and settle this before it can damage those eyes.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)