Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a South African pure bred Boerboel dog, 9 months

Customer Question

Hi there! We have a South African pure bred Boerboel dog, 9 months old, with a severe skin disease. Results in continuous irritation and scratching of the skin. We have been to quite a few vets already, including a specialist, but with no or only temporary improvement. It appears to be genetically, but not sure. Any ideas what else we can do perhaps? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's unlikely that I can add to what a specialist veterinary dermatologist has told you. What are the differential diagnoses that were mentioned? What type of testing has been performed? Can you upload a photo(s) of Zeus to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. He has been on cortisone treatments as well as antibiotics. He is on nexguard at the moment because we think it might be an allergic reaction to sandfleas. I do not think this is the case though because we defogged the house and also wapped it down outside with Jeyes fluid. He scratches all the time and the bumps are just getting worse. I will attach some photos now.

Thank you. I'll watch for your next post. No photos attached as yet.