Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a 6 week old puppy who started frequent urinating but

Customer Question

I have a 6 week old puppy who started frequent urinating but almost nothing comes out and she is uncomfortable. What can I do to help her til vet opens on Monday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little girl. With what you're describing, a urinary tract infection would be very high on the list of possibilities here. If one is present, it can cause a lot of irritation in the bladder and make them feel like they constantly have to go. The other huge rule out would be a urinary blockage. If this was going on, this would be an emergency. As long as she's not painful, eating / drinking well, and being social / playful otherwise - it would seem a blockage is less likely. Blockages can happen due to bladder stones, but for one her age to have one would be very unusual. If a urinary tract infection is going on, there really isn't anything that an owner can do at home for it. The best thing to do is to get her to your vet as soon as possible so a urine sample can be evaluated and if it is present, then a course of antibiotics done. At home, making sure she continues to eat / drink, be social, and comfortable is the things that can be done.