Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My husband found granules on the floorboard of our rv. He

Customer Question

My husband found green granules on the floorboard of our rv. He thinks it might be mouse poison, we think our sheltie are some, not sure. She shows no symptoms. This happened in the last 4 hours if she did. We are staying at an rv park in Arkansas and we are not familiar with this area, I checked the internet for 24 hour clinic , the nearest one is 55 miles away.it's 11:30 pm. Will she be safe until tomorrow, is there anything that I can do myself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I'm Dr. B and would like to help you today.

Now I share you husbands concern about this being rodent bait. And this puts us in a tricky situation. This is because we just can't know if she ate this, when she ate this, and thus is at risk. If we saw the green in her mouth or stools, then we'd know. But in this case, we just don't.

Now that all said, the poison doesn't kill instantly. This is why her being normal just now isn't unexpected. In fact, this is a fairly slow poison. It works to block the animal's production of clotting factors. So she will be fine as she uses she has pre made but can start bleeding internally once those run out. Luckily in this situation we will likely be fine overnight if she potentially just ate these. Still we'd want to keep her calm and rested to reduce any bruises or bumps if we can. Furthermore, we will want her seen by the local regular vet as soon as the are open. They can check her clotting function by blood sample but most importantly they can start her on vitamin K to counter the poison and reuduce her risk.

Please take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I couldn't read it until about 10 M this morning after we got her to the vet. I wrote the message last night and the way your webite reads is I would get the question answered immediately.very disappointed because I didn't hear from anyone until hours later after we got her to the vet. I am asking for a refund .I fewlvicwas mislead.