Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I just got a new puppy, brought her home, fed and watered

Customer Question

I just got a new puppy, brought her home, fed and watered her and a few minutes after she just starts shaking uncontrollably, then she stopped so I sat her down and she went and laid down, then she threw up everything she ate and pooped. So I go clean it, and while I'm cleaning it shes just whining whining whining and tries stand up and kind of falls over, and started pooping, then threw up just a little liquid, then she just kept trying to stand and it's like she couldn't get her balance.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! I'm sorry that she's off to a rocky start!

It certainly could be that she's motion sick or just ill from the stress of moving - stress can cause diarrhea and vomiting. Some of the other things that can cause vomiting and diarrhea in a young pup are a little more sinister - like parvovirus and intestinal parasites. When very young puppies either don't eat enough or lose their calories through vomiting and/or diarrhea, they can become hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) very easily. This can cause them to be very weak, tremble, or even have seizures or go into a coma. It's a good idea to rub a sugary substance like karo syrup, corn syrup, maple syrup, or sugar water onto her gums. This can help raise her blood sugar a bit. If she's really out of it for she continues having diarrhea and vomiting, it would be a good idea to get her to an emergency vet just in case. Little ones can be fragile and get very sick very quickly.

I hope that this is helpful to you - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)