Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has possible muscle necrosis from a dog bite on her

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** My dog has possible muscle necrosis from a dog bite on her back quad.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is a 9 year old Italian Greyhound, spayed. Attacked Dec 28 by a lab mix. She has already undergone surgery and then was hospitalized again 2 days ago for dehydration. She has several wounds, all healing beautifully, except for her leg.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

First! You must get back in to the vet to evaluate the integrity (vitality) of the tissue in question. If it is truly becoming necrotic, than the only option is to have it surgically debrided. Healling cannot occur with necrotic tissue present. The body needs a healthy tissue bed to help the healing process. Great that the other wounds seem to be progressing well. This is a traumatic injury and I would not be surprised if some repeated surgical followup was necessary.

Also, the tissue involved should probably be cultured. A culture is when a swab from the affected area is sent to the laboratory. If bacteria is present, the lab will identify it and tell the vet the best antibiotic choices to kill it.

Hope that information helps

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?