Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Name's ***** *****. I've got a 13-year old springer spaniel

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, name's ***** *****. I've got a 13-year old springer spaniel who has become very nervous and skittish recently. I'm wondering why - her back legs have become pretty weak and she has a hard time getting up stairs and into her chair. Could her feeling less control be the cause of her skittishness?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Alright, Sam is a 13-year old full bread springer spaniel. She's always been friendly, if a bit anxious around new people and when left alone. She tore her ACL when she was about 5 and although she has always been active, she's slowed down a bit in the last year or so. Her rear legs are a bit weak, and she sometimes has a difficult time with stairs, and when getting up after lying down for awhile. As stated, she's always been friendly but not extremely affectionate - she wants affection on HER terms lol. But within the last few months or so, she shies away if you try to pet her unless you have food. She will not let you do anything like brush her teeth, her hair, clean her ears, etc.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm sorry, I don't really have the time to wait at the moment - could you email me a response? Does my question have to be posted? I don't mind paying, I just don't want my question posted
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she currently on any medications?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions besides the ACL rupture?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. No, she is not on any medications. We do give her cosequin in the morning.
2. No other injuries other than the ACL - at least that we know of. We believe she may have arthritis or possibly hip dysplaysia but it has not been officially diagnosed.
3. Aside from what I mentioned, her only other symptoms have been restlessness at night (she sometimes paces around and can't seem to get comfortable), increased need to go out (no indoor accidents though), increased water intake (she does still have an appetite and never misses a meal - she gets 1/2 cup dry food twice/day). She has also become more affectionate to people she was never previously affectionate with and not as affectionate with people she used to be affectionate with. I believe that's it, I can't think of any other symptoms.
4. She weighs approx 45 - 50 ilbs and has never been over-weight

Friend, the history and symptoms you describe as you have suspected are consistent with arthritis of the hips, spine or both. It is likely that she is in pain for this reason she is nervous and skittish. Having her on Cosequin is great. But, she may need an anti inflammatory medication as well. I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about starting her long term on a medication called Rimadyl. This medicine will help with pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!