Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 10 1/2 yr old scottie female. About a month ago her

Customer Question

I have a 10 1/2 yr old scottie female. About a month ago her eye was weeping a lot. We took her to the vet. She checked it out. Her eye is not scratched. She has a tiny little thing on her eyelid. Blueish black- sort of looks like a blood blister. Didn't know what that was, so the vet gave me ointment to put in her eye. About 10 days ago while cleaning with a warm cloth it broke + bled alittle. The next morning it was gone + eye looked fine. Today I noticed it is back, bigger this time + her eye is red. What could that be? And what do I do about it. She is digging a lot in the yard + always has dirt on her face. Could that have something to do with it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that Hannah had increased tearing and a small growth on her eyelid that ruptured and disappeared and now has returned and her eye is red. I don't think that this is related to her digging in the yard, although getting dirt on the mass and in her eye could irritate things more.
There are a couple more likely causes for this.

One is a blocked eyelid tear gland duct that has become infected. There are several of these along both top and bottom eyelids and If the duct becomes infected and the gland secretions cannot empty the secretions cause a swelling and can become infected, sort of like a sty on a person's eyelid. They often will look red or yellowish in color and are located along the eyelid. Sometimes just by warm compressing the area and with a little gentle pressure the blockage opens and no further treatment is needed. Just flush the debris out of the eye with sterile saline and continue warm compresses a few times daily for a few days to keep it draining. But if that doesn't work we need to lance the swollen area, remove the infected secretions and use an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory to resolve it. In her case because the mass returned this is less likely.

Another possibility is a meibomian gland growth.
This is a tumor of the oily producing tear glands located along the eyelid. These growths are benign, meaning they don't spread deep into tissues or spread to distant areas like the lungs or lymph nodes, but they can get quite large and interfere with eyesight, rub on the eye causing the eye to tear more, and make the dog uncomfortable. They tend to be brown or black in color and can hang from the eyelid as they get bigger, rubbing the eye.
Sometimes we can lance and drain them like a cyst but they usually come back (as your girl's did). I do recommend removing them before they take up a big portion of the eyelid and become uncomfortable. It is usually a short surgery requiring just a few stitches, and the dogs feel much better once the growth is gone.

At this point if her eye hasn't improved with topical antibiotic therapy and the mass rupturing then it is likely that Hannah needs the lump removed surgically.

In the meantime you can warm compress the area twice daily, keep it clean, and apply the ointment (which your veterinarian gave you previously) to protect her eye and keep it more comfortable.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hannah. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara