Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 pound puppy ate rat poisoning not sure what the active

Customer Question

My 7 pound puppy ate rat poisoning not sure what the active ingredient is because the boxes have been thrown away I don't believe he ate a lot but I have read that I should induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide all the veterinarian hospitals are closed and I can't get him in until in the morning can you help me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have this?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just did it 10 minutes ago, seems OK right now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now I am not surprised he seems fine just now. The vast majority of rat bait products are anti-coagulants. So, they don't cause instant death. They instead prevent the animal eating them from producing clotting factors. So once the those are depleted from circulation (as the body deals with all those tiny daily bleeds we have) they have no more and start to bleed internally. We can see bleeds in vomit, diarrhea but also into the lungs, chest cavity and abdomen. So, it is very dangerous in tiny doses but its effects are not instant.

Now if it was 10 minutes ago, we absolutely want to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively of you cannot get him vomiting for any reason, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after blocking this drug from being absorbed, we will want hi on Vitamin K. Since the vet is not open, this will have to be delayed but if we do the above now, we can at least limit the poison's effects and plan to have him seen first thing tomorrow for this treatment. And do note, since we have to wait for clotting factor levels to normalize, we'll want him on the Vitamin K for a good few weeks.

Just in case you there is a local emergency vet you dont' know about, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)