Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My older dog has an enlarged prostate, blood in urine, and a

Customer Question

My older dog has an enlarged prostate, blood in urine, and a negative bacterial culture. The symptoms prior to seeing the vet were difficulty defacating, constipation or and an urge to defecate all of the time, ribbon stool. No problems peeing. He was eating and drinking like his normal self. About 5 days ago, he was put on baytril prior to getting the culture results. Since the culture is negative, the vet now thinks it is cancer. Could you please provide a second opinion? He no longer has a problem pooping (round poops three times a day and no straining). He is walking a bit funny - looks like he is guarding his hindquarters.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I'be been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I have a few questions to ask. Is this guy neutered? What was cultured - a urine sample? I want to be clear on this, the 5 days of the Bayrtril have improved the stool production size? He's not straining to defecate any more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is neutered and it was done when he was just a pup. Yes, they cultured a urine sample. Yes, after 5 days he isn't straining to defecate and the stool production size is better. I guess I'm just a little concerned because before I told my vet that he was improving, she jumped right to because there was no bacteria in the culture then it is cancer.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. This situation is one where there are still some unknowns. Could there be cancer in the prostate? That can't be totally ruled out with what is known at this time. The other thing that can't be ruled out is a prostatitis - infection in the prostate. A urine culture doesn't always have bacteria in it from a prostatitis situation. Special prostate aspirates or prostate washes are much more reliable for getting a representative sample from the prostate to confirm a prostate infection. At this time, it is great that he's responding to the antibiotics. If this was a straight forward cancer of the prostate, the antibiotics wouldn't have helped. If the antibiotics are improving the clinical presentation of him - his defecating straining, size, etc.. - then it would seem reasonable to still have hope that this is a prostatic infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. The guarding with the hindquarters - is that also something that could be attributed to a possible infection? That is the one thing that doesn't seem to be getting better yet. It has remained the same.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Could the guarding of the hindquarters be due to a prostatitis? I can't say that it fits with the typical signs seen with it. Could there be some other source of discomfort causing that? Could there be arthritis in the hips? Could there be some irritation to the skin back there? I wouldn't say guarding of the hindquarters fits with prostatic cancer either.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Maybe I was picturing "guarding" in a different way, as some can have discomfort in their lower back region with prostatitis. They can have caudal abdominal discomfort and sometimes a stiff gait due to the inflammation.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?