Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a terrier/chihuahua mixed dog about a year old. He

Customer Question

I have a terrier/chihuahua mixed dog about a year old. He has all his shots current. I noticed he was trembling and when I tried picking him up he state crying. I have tried to figure out if any of his legs hurt. I appears that his left leg bothers him. I also tried touching his tummy and he also complained. He also appears cool. Tried finding a vet that was open in the area and found none. What can I do to help my dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Is he eating and drinking?

5- Is he walking any different?

6- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found later todays when checking him over that he ad a bite I believe on the side of his of his abdomen. We have another larger dog. I assume she bit him. She is much older, 12 years old. Once I discovered the puncture on the side I washed him with soap and water followed y Peroxide then rinsed with alcohol. the dog did not complain once. I then put some polysporin. I hope I haven't poisoned the animal. After I did that It hit me it might get the dog sick. He hasn't eaten or had anything to drink recently. But I just took him outside a few minutes ago and he had a long pee...Earlier today he was limping and trembling. That has stopped at the moment.

Friend, sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. I would recommend you do not use alcohol and peroxide on the wound, very irritating and can delay tissue healing. Instead, this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not let him lick the wound or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at wound.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like polysporin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Marilyn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cookie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter