Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a (12 year old Guard Lama) and one lead goat fat goat

Customer Question

I have a (12 year old Guard Lama) and one lead goat for my fat goat feeding farm. (The lama) (Wilber) Has never been sick.He is Having sever Diarrhea.My Dad was a all animal Vet for over 50 years.I,ve leaned a lot from Him. But He is pass on Know. (Wiilber)or the boys get fresh water and Alfalfa hay,ever day, LIMITED to what thy will clean up daily plus all the good pasture they want. (I thought maybe he may have some kind of worms. Blood worms or maybe stomach worms,). Then it snowed so I added dry grass in equal portions. am at A lost On What to Treat him For,I did A 3 day treatment of 10cc of penicillin. That help but the Diarrhea came back.So I treated him again. With the penicillin and for gastrointestinal roundworms. Again He got better but his was poop is like a cow. when it should look like goat poop. but light like pop corn meaning vary light in weight. Please give me any suggestions. Farmer John
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the diarrhea look like?

What wormer did you use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this a llama not a dog! But the color is military green. If you read my e-mail I tolled you what wormier i used. I type it off the bottle..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

I am aware that we are discussing a Llama even if you did mistakenly post it to the dog category. As well, I have read your history twice now and there is no mention of the brand of wormer you used. It simply says " treated for gastrointestinal roundworms" and as not all wormers are created equally and since we see resistance with some, it would be ideal if you can tell me that brand name (or type it again if it was accidently deleted). That way I can fully assess your lad's situation and see if we can take some steps to help address this diarrhea.

Look forward to hearing back from you,

Dr. B.