Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My chocolate lab has developed a couple sores. The first

Customer Question

My chocolate lab has developed a couple sores. The first occurred on the top of his head. Hair loss, open pink/red lesion. Now he has a larger one on his lower back. Same characteristics.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Can you upload photos of these sores to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There was an add file option. Did you receive the pics?

Yes, thank you! Have you seen Harley scratch at the head lesion and bite at the lesions on his back?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is what most baffles me. He can't really reach them to scratch or bite. I have a black female lab that likes to lick and keep them clean for him, but Harley cannot reach these spots himself?

Thank you. Those lesions are most consistent with a superficial spreading pyoderma - a bacterial infection of the skin usually due to Staphylococcus. The hair around all of those lesions should be shaved down to the skin. You'll be surprised to see the true extent of them. Epidermal collarettes - roughly circular skin lesions that heal from the inside out - are likely to become apparent although the head lesion already appears as a classic epidermal collarette. Because these collarettes can appear secondary to a dermatophyte (fungus) as well, I would initiate an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for a minimun of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs with the assumption that pyoderma is present but I would also fungal culture the skin - particularly that head lesion. A prescription shampoo from Harley's vet containing both an antibacterial and antifungal drug should hasten resolution of either infection when Harley is bathed twice weekly. An example of such a shampoo will contain both chlorhexidine (antibacterial) and miconazole (antifungal); these shampoos are occasionally found over the counter as well.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you waiting on anything else from me?

Only if you have additional questions or concerns. Otherwise, I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this contagious to my other animals?

A fungal infection could be contagious to your other pets and you. A bacterial infection isn't expected to be contagious unless a pet or you is immunocompromised by illness or chemotherapy.

Hi Eva,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?